Special Christmas Memories

When I was growing up, my family traveled 200 miles over the river and through the woods each Christmas, to go to my Grandma and Grandpa’s house. This is how I remember celebrating Christmas, until I got married.

I vividly remember not being able to sleep each Christmas Eve! The anticipation of opening Christmas gifts and all of our family traditions, would cause me to lay awake while my sisters slept peacefully. Even after my parents went to bed, I would lay in my bed agonizing over how slowly time was passing. But this particular Christmas, I was to join the ranks of my older cousins—I was to pass out the gifts—a huge honor in the scope of our Christmases. I was nervous—I wanted to do well. I was very excited!

As soon as I heard my Aunt Angie yell up the stairs that it was time to get up along with her reminder, “Are you going to waste this day?” , I shot out of bed, relieved that the night was FINALLY over. I gobbled down breakfast and prayed that the others would also hurry because we never opened presents until we had all eaten breakfast.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, it was my turn to pass out the gifts. If I had my druthers, I would have passed everything out as fast as possible, ripped my own gifts open and ignored everyone else. But…. our tradition was to pass out one gift at a time and wait for that person to open the gift, talk about it, and then we moved on to the next person. Usually, one of the children got to pass out the gifts (probably because we were closer to the floor – I figured that out as I got older!), and this year, it was my turn!

I carefully passed out all of the gifts and each person went through the ritual of opening them. It was a great time of family fellowship, but there was one package left. I picked up the package and read the card – To: Snick From: Shikepoke

WHAT WAS THIS?! When I looked up in confusion, Gram and Grandpa looked at each other with that special look. Then it hit me – Santa had delivered this gift to the wrong home! I knew I didn’t know how to get in touch with Santa, to right this wrong, and I didn’t think the adults knew how to either. Then Grandpa said that the gift was for Gram from him. It was a book that Gram seemed genuinely excited about. This was so confusing to me as a young girl. First, it was because she was excited about a book and second, that they actually called each other by different names.

As my little girl brain developed, I began to understand that these were pet names that Gram and Grandpa had for each other. Now, my big girl brain realizes the heritage that I was given. Gram and Grandpa loved each other deeply, and before Gram died she gave each of her grandchildren a little book where she told about Gram and Grandpa’s growing up years, about their courting, about their married life and it also holds lots of pictures of them both. Grandpa was sickly and died when I was 11 years old. I was fortunate enough to have Gram until 1996.
After Grandpa died, Gram never remarried. When asked why she never remarried, she replied that she was content with her life and didn’t want another man. Gram traveled the world, and spent time and energy on her family during the years following Grandpa’s death, and I believe she was content.

I know in my own life, I have not always been thankful or content with what God has given me. I have missed many a blessing that can accompany a trial of life. Praise the Lord for a Grandma and Grandpa who personified thankfulness and contentment in each other!

I now find that remembering these special moments of the past is very good medicine for the present. Create some "special moments" for your family this Christmas.

Love, Janna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Janna, I love to read your page. It blesses my heart every time. Thank you for sharing your life stories with us. Makes me wish we had grown up together.
Love you bunches. Dianne